Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] preliminary fixes for reftable support

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 12:27:55 -0800

"Han-Wen Nienhuys via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> these two commits to the reftable library prepare for making 2 tests in the
> test suite pass in my pending changes for reftable support.

Welcome again to our "we cannot count to three" club.

> This series was built against 'master'. It also has a fix for a fd leak (>=
> 0 vs > 0), which is part of my reftable-coverity fixes topic.

What is going on here?  We have the same fix in two series?  Are
these two series meant to be applied, or is this a beginning of
splitting and resubmitting the other larger series into smaller
chunks?

I am not opposed to having two identical fixes to a high priority
problem, one in a long series that may take longer to graduate and
the other one in a short series that is trivial to verify.  I am not
opposed to retract a longer series and trickle a number of series'
that replace it, either.  I just wanted to know what is happening
here.

Thanks.

> Han-Wen Nienhuys (3):
>   reftable: fix typo in header
>   reftable: signal overflow
>   reftable: support preset file mode for writing
>
>  reftable/block.h           |  2 +-
>  reftable/error.c           |  2 ++
>  reftable/readwrite_test.c  | 35 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  reftable/reftable-error.h  |  4 ++++
>  reftable/reftable-writer.h |  3 +++
>  reftable/stack.c           | 30 ++++++++++++++++++++++++------
>  reftable/stack_test.c      | 33 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----
>  reftable/writer.c          |  3 +++
>  8 files changed, 101 insertions(+), 11 deletions(-)
>
>
> base-commit: fae76fe5da3df25d752f2251b7ccda3f62813aa9
> Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-1164%2Fhanwen%2Freftable-features-v1
> Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-1164/hanwen/reftable-features-v1
> Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/1164