Subject: Re: [PATCH] t4204 is not sanitizer clean at all

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 12:48:57 -0800

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> This change looks good to me.
>
> FWIW this is not a mistake on my part, but something I'm perfectly aware
> of. I don't consider it to be "brekage".
>
> We have plenty of place in the test suite where we hide exit codes on
> the LHS of a pipe, or where we call a function that doesn't &&-chain its
> git invocations.
>
> In those cases we can and usually will "succeed" under LSAN, because it
> allows the program to emit its full output, and will abort() at the very
> end.

But pipes do not hide ONLY deaths by sanitizer.  And by relying on
the presence of pipe hiding deaths of git tools to mark the script
sanitizer-clean, the TEST_PASSES_SANITIZE_LEAK=true line adds an
unnecessary road-block for those who are cleaning up the "git whose
crash are hidden by being on the left hand side of the pipe"
pattern.

I do not know what to call it if not "breakage".