Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/7] grep: simplify & delete "init" & "config" code

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 13:06:49 -0800

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> In v1 and v2[1] of this series more code in grep.c was deleted by
> changing what I think is a really obscure interaction between
> "grep.extendedRegexp=true" and "grep.patternType".
>
> Junio preferred having a deprecation period[2], so here's a re-roll
> that preserves all existing behavior, at the cost of bit less code
> deletion & simplification (from "97 insertions(+), 174 deletions(-)"
> to "106 insertions(+), 131 deletions(-)").

Deprecating grep.extendedRegexp and forcing users to only use the
grep.patterntype would be a lot more sensible way forward than
giving it a new meaning and letting these two variables interact
with each other.

Depending on how cleanly the internal code can become, with the
former variable still supported for backward compatibility, we might
not need to break working set-up existing end-users have, though.

We'll see.

Thanks.