Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] mergetools/vimdiff: add vimdiff4 merge tool variant

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 11:18:14 -0700

David Aguilar <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm personally not opposed to the vimdiff4 variants (we already have 3
> others) but what I think might be missing is a bit of documentation
> that documents the builtin tools and their variants.

Hmph, are we encouraging everybody to add yet another variant?  I
wonder if we can stop at adding a single "vimdiffX" variant that
takes the layout information (like the one this vimdiff4 passes to
the underlying tool via the command line option) in a configuration
variable and stop adding more variants, or is vim's specification of
the layout we use here via the command line not flexible enough to
serve all future needs?  I also wonder if all the existing vimdiff
variants can be done in terms of such a vimdiffX implementation.

> Right now git-mergetool.txt includes config/mergetool.txt for
> documenting its config variables. It might be worth having a common
> "mergetools.txt" where the builtin tools and variants can be
> documented and then we can include that file from both
> git-mergetool.txt and git-difftool.txt.
>
> That would be a good place to write up the differences between the
> variants, and the diagram you included in the commit message would be
> helpful there as well.

Yup, in any case, I do like the suggestion to document the variants.

Thanks, both.