Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] branch: add flags and config to inherit tracking

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 14:44:49 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 16 2021, Josh Steadmon wrote:
>
>> It can be helpful when creating a new branch to use the existing
>> tracking configuration from the branch point. However, there is
>> currently not a method to automatically do so.
>
> There's no method to get *only* that config, but this use-case is why
> the "-c" option (copy branch) was added.

Hmph, I doubt the claim about the original motivation behind "-c",
but it sure sounds like an interesting point of view.  The commit at
the tip, as well as configurations are copied, which is most of the
way there, but I suspect that the --track=inherit is mostly to be
used in the context of "git checkout -b" and the mention of "branch"
is merely for simplicity of the description of this topic, no?  And
you cannot say "git checkout --clone-branch original" (yet).

But it is a very interesting way to twist the point of view.