Subject: Re: Git re-creates newly added directory when it is pushed

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 17:29:34 -0700

Yuri <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 8/29/21 5:07 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> This is one of the reasons why "rebase" (especially "rebase -i") may
>> want to insist starting at the top-level of the working tree, like
>> "git bisect" does.  Because running the command from a subdirectory
>> works most of the time until it doesn't, people tend to complain why
>> they should go up to the top-level before they can run the command.
>>
>> And this is why---it causes end-user confusion.
>
>
> But there's no confusion here - git doesn't have to delete the
> directory and recreate it, but it does it anyway.
>
> So this is just a bug that git disturbs users more than it should.

No, this is an example that users usually can be unaware of the
reason why it is a bad idea to start from subdirectories.

As Elijah explained, if a multi-step rebase had to stop and ask help
from the user to resolve conflict _before_ the step that creates the
user's current directory, it would leave the user in a confusing
situation where the user thinks is in a directory but that directory
does not yet exist in the filesystem.