Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 1/2] submodule--helper: introduce add-clone subcommand

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 16:59:23 +0900

Atharva Raykar <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think the larger concern I have to balance here is what level of
> "faithfulness" should I be having with this conversion. My current
> thoughts on this are:
>
>  - Functionality and behaviour should be as similar as possible.
>
>  - If there is an *obvious* bug that can be fixed in translation,
>    then I should fix it.
>
>  - If there are error messages that can be made more clear and
>    consistent with the rest of the Porcelain, then I'll make the
>    required change.

I have been assuming that we would draw the line between the second
one and the third one, that is, as little end-user visible behaviour
changes as possible, unless the behaviour being changed is a clear
bugfix, during the conversion.  Polishing the results into an even
better shape can and should be done after the initial conversion is
completed.  Switching from die() to fprintf() with error return would
be very desirable in the end result, but that would be a bit distracting
to read during the review of the initial conversion.

Thanks.