Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 4/4] promisor-remote: teach lazy-fetch in any repo

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2021 14:33:02 +0900

Jonathan Tan <[email-masked]> writes:

>> by filling appropriate environ[] array to be run in a repository
>> that is different from ours (which is "other repo" part of its name)
>> not to want to even know which repository the "other" repo is?
>
> Good point. I'll update prepare_other_repo_env() to have a gitdir
> parameter.

I actually meant that the function should take an in-core "repo"
structure.

>> Object type and object sizes are something that you can
>> safely express in plain text, would be handy for testing, and would
>> not require too much extra code, I'd imagine.
>
> It would, but we can already use "git cat-file -s" (or -t) for that. The
> helper is meant to test a specific code path wherein we access a
> submodule object during a process running in the superproject.

I know, but can you use "git cat-file -s" to check the codepath you
care about?  I do not think so.  Hence the suggestion.