Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] t: use pre-defined utf-8 locale for testing svn

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 10:01:12 +0900

Đoàn Trần Công Danh  <[email-masked]> writes:

> Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] t: use pre-defined utf-8 locale for testing svn

That certainly is better than "user-specific", but a lot worse than
"user-specified".  "pre-defined" leaves it open to question "who
defines it?", and it is a reasonable interpretation that the locale
may be hardcoded in the makefile, but that is not what this patch
does.  Saying "user-specified" would not have such a problem.

>> I kind of wonder if trying "C.UTF-8" would be a reasonable fallback so
>> that people don't even have to set this extra Makefile knob. But I'm not
>> sure if we have a good way of testing if that locale works (if we can't
>> find the "locale" binary).
>
> I also think we should fallback to "C.UTF-8" instead of not testing those
> tests.  However, I don't know if there're any systems that not have "C.UTF-8"
> locale.

I do share the feeling, but have a hunch that systems lacking
"locale -a" may be either superset of, or has at least large overlap
with, those lacking "C.UTF-8", and the new mechanism introduced here
will cover both of them, so I think it is OK to stop here, at least
for now.

Thanks.