Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] doc: writing down Git mailing list etiquette

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 06:11:34 +0900

Dave Huseby <[email-masked]> writes:

> I realized last night that there is an important distinction between
> using email to work *with* Git and using email to work *on* Git. The Git
> ML has its own etiquette and rules and MUA tweaks that may not apply to
> other projects that use Git and a mailing list. The files
> MyFirstContribution.txt and SubmittingPatches are clearly focused on
> using email to work *on* Git. The file MyFirstObjectWalk.txt is also
> about working *on* Git, although unrelated to email and the mailing
> list. Maybe it's time we make the *on*/*with* distinction more obvious
> by creating a Documentation/WorkingOnGit subdir? Just throwing that out
> there.

I agree with that "realization", and think we shouldn't talk
anything about what other people who happens to use Git for their
projects should do, at least for now, when we do not even have a
completed written guideline for ourselves to follow when using Git
for our projects.

> I saw Ævar's patches last night and had the same thought. Since it looks
> like this is probably all going into SubmittingPatches, I'll connect
> with Ævar and see if we can come up with a patch series for (1) Ævar's
> re-org and pruning (2) my Mutt MUA settings and (3) etiquette related
> information for discussions around patches and reviews with a (4) side
> note for any general etiquette for non-patch communication.

Sounds good.  Thanks.