Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 1/1] ci(osx): use new location of the `perforce` cask

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 10:18:39 +0900

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > +	brew cask install perforce || {
>> > +		# Update the definitions and try again
>> > +		git -C "$(brew --repository)"/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-cask pull &&
>>
>> In the build of v2.24.0 this 'git pull' printed just short of 600
>> lines worth of diffstat.  Two weeks went by since then, and in today's
>> 'pu' build that diffstat is already over 1000 lines long.
>>
>> Perhaps we could use --quiet here, though that would suppress the
>> transfer progress as well.
>
> Isn't there an option to suppress the diffstat specifically?

-- >8 --
Subject: ci(osx): update homebrew-cask repository with less noise

The OSX CI build procedure updates the homebrew-cask repository
before attempting to install perforce again, after seeing an
installation failure.  This involves a "git pull" that by default
computes and outputs diffstat, which would only grow as the time
goes by and the repository cast in stone in the CI build image
becomes more and more stale relative to the upstream repository in
the outside world.

Suppress the diffstat to both save cycles to generate it, and strain
on the eyeballs to skip it.

Reported-by: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Helped-by: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---
 ci/install-dependencies.sh | 3 ++-
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/ci/install-dependencies.sh b/ci/install-dependencies.sh
index 4e64a19112..b6b4f4707f 100755
--- a/ci/install-dependencies.sh
+++ b/ci/install-dependencies.sh
@@ -42,7 +42,8 @@ osx-clang|osx-gcc)
 	brew link --force gettext
 	brew cask install perforce || {
 		# Update the definitions and try again
-		git -C "$(brew --repository)"/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-cask pull &&
+		cask_repo="$(brew --repository)"/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-cask &&
+		git -C "$cask_repo" pull --no-stat &&
 		brew cask install perforce
 	} ||
 	brew install caskroom/cask/perforce