Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 0/5] recursively grep across submodules

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 16:26:20 -0700

Brandon Williams <[email-masked]> writes:

> As for the rest of the series, it should be ready for review or comments.

Just a few brief comments, before reading the patches carefully.

 * It is somewhat surprising that [1/5] is even needed (in other
   words, I would have expected something like this to be already
   there, and my knee-jerk reaction was "Heh, how does 'git status'
   know how to show submodules that are and are not initialized
   differently without this?"  

   The implementation that reads from the config of the current
   repository may be OK, but I actually would have expected that a
   check would be "given a $path, check to see if $path/.git is
   there and is a valid repository".  In a repository where the
   submodules originate, there may not even be submodule.$name.url
   entries there yet.

 * It is somewhat surprising that [4/5] does not even use the
   previous ls-files to find out the paths.  Also it is a bit
   disappointing to see that the way processes are spawned and
   managed does not share much with Stefan's earlier work, i.e.
   run_processes_parallel().  I was somehow hoping that it can be
   extended to support this use case, but apparently there aren't
   much to be shared.

Thanks.