Subject: Re: Small rerere in rebase regression

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 15:11:16 -0700

Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]> writes:

> I also come to the conclusion that die_with_patch shouldn't have to
> have a call to "git rerere". die_with_patch can be called after "git
> cherry-pick", "git merge", "git commit", all of which have their own
> rerere() invocation.
>
> However, calling "git rerere" after a failed "git commit" may be
> destructive: it would record a resolution even though the commit has
> not be completed. Think of an squash commit being aborted because the
> user notices an error in the last minute. If that error is in a
> conflict resolution, that wrong resolution would be recorded.

So, the behaviour change you observed uncovered a small bug in
"rebase -i" that was covered by the old limitation of "rerere" that
refrained from creating preimage when there already is one?

I think removing the call to "git rerere" there is a safe and
sensible thing regardless, but perhaps authors of "rebase -i" had
their own reasons.  I dunno (it is unlikely I'll have a chance to do
blame and digging today).