Subject: Re: [PATCH v9 5/5] bisect: allow any terms set by user

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 14:41:49 -0700

Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:

> +------------------------------------------------
> +git bisect terms <term-new> <term-old>
> +------------------------------------------------

The mnemonic for "git bisect start bad good" is Bad comes before
Good (B = 0x42, G = 0x47) and this is same for "new/old", New comes
before Old (N = 0x4e, O = 0x4f).  "git bisect terms new old" follows
the same pattern, which is good.  Easy to remember.

> +This command has to be used before a bisection has started. <term-old>
> +must be associated with the latest revisions and <term-new> with the
> +ancestors of <term-old>.

Whoa?  This gets new and old mixed up, doesn't it?

> For example, if something was buggy in the
> +old part of the history, you know somewhere the bug was fixed, and you
> +want to find the exact commit that fixed it, you may want to say `git
> +bisect terms fixed broken`; this way, you would mark a commit that
> +still has the bug with `broken`, and a newer one after the fix with
> +`fixed`.

So, it used to be broken, it got fixed recently, so broken is old,
fixed is new, "bad/new and then good/old" mnemonic says you give
"fixed broken" to "bisect terms".  OK.

> +Only the first bisection following the `git bisect terms` will use the
> +terms. If you mistyped one of the terms you can do again `git bisect
> +terms <term-old> <term-new>`.

This is also the other way around, no?

> +git bisect terms <term-new> <term-old>
> +	set up <term-new> and <term-old> as terms (default: bad, good)

Good.