Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] git help: group common commands by theme

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 09:19:47 -0700

Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Yeah, but you are moving the goalpost.
>
> Yes, because Git has more than one user and each user may have different
> ways of thinking. I both find it weird to present "add" without "rm" and
> to expect users to look at the doc for "add" to find "rm".

I would not expect somebody who wants to find 'rm' to look in 'add',
but you were talking about 'I just learnt add.  What is the opposite
of add?' people.  'remove', 'revert', 'reset', 'unadd'...?

Yes, you can try "git help revert", "git help remove", ..., giving
all random words you think of in turn, but that is crazy.  That is
why 'git add' lists related subcommands in SEE ALSO.

I do not mind keeping 'rm' with the description of what it does in
the list if we had enough vertical space.  I think it would hurt to
have it in the list without the description of what it does, though,
because 'rm' is not opposite of 'add'.