Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/2] create_default_files(): don't set u+x bit on $GIT_DIR/config

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 11:08:27 -0800

Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]> writes:

> Since time immemorial, the test of whether to set "core.filemode" has
> been done by trying to toggle the u+x bit on $GIT_DIR/config and then
> testing whether the change "took". It is somewhat odd to use the
> config file for this test, but whatever.

The last sentence should read "We could create a test file and use
it for this purpose and then remove it, but config is a file we know
exists at this point in the code (and it is the only file we know
that exists), so it was a very sensible trick".

Or remove it altogether.  In other words, do not sound as if you do
not know what you are doing in your log message.  That would rob
confidence in the change from the person who is reading "git log"
output later.

> @@ -255,6 +255,7 @@ static int create_default_files(const char *template_path)
>  		filemode = (!chmod(path, st1.st_mode ^ S_IXUSR) &&
>  				!lstat(path, &st2) &&
>  				st1.st_mode != st2.st_mode);
> +		filemode &= !chmod(path, st1.st_mode);

Sounds good.

You could also &&-chain this "flip it back" to the above statement.
If filemode is not trustable on a filesytem, doing one extra chmod()
to correct would not help us anyway, no?

>  	}
>  	git_config_set("core.filemode", filemode ? "true" : "false");