Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] Allow the user to change the temporary file name for mergetool

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 15:14:21 -0700

Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am 19.08.2014 19:15, schrieb Robin Rosenberg:
>> Using the original filename suffix for the temporary input files to
>> the merge tool confuses IDEs like Eclipse. This patch introduces
>> a configurtion option, mergetool.tmpsuffix, which get appended to
>> the temporary file name. That way the user can choose to use a
>> suffix like ".tmp", which does not cause confusion.
>
> I have a merge tool that does syntax highlighting based on the file
> extension. Given this:
>
>> +	BACKUP="./$MERGED.BACKUP.$ext$tmpsuffix"
>> +	LOCAL="./$MERGED.LOCAL.$ext$tmpsuffix"
>> +	REMOTE="./$MERGED.REMOTE.$ext$tmpsuffix"
>> +	BASE="./$MERGED.BASE.$ext$tmpsuffix"
>
> I guess I lose syntax highlighting if I were to use mergetool.tmpsuffix;
> but then I don't use Eclipse. Could it be that this is really just a
> band-aid for Eclipse users, not IDEs in general as you are hinting in
> the Documentation of the new variable?

The phrase "IDEs like Eclipse" in the proposed log message did not
tell me (which I think is a good thing) if IDEs that need "band-aid"
are majority or minority, but I agree that we should not hint that
IDEs in general would benefit by setting this variable.  A warning
on the syntax-aware editors may be necessary.

Thanks for a careful reading.