Subject: Re: [PATCH] blame.c: prepare_lines should not call xrealloc for every line

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 12:39:40 -0800

David Kastrup <[email-masked]> writes:

> It's snake oil making debugging harder.

OK, that is a sensible argument.

>> This was fun ;-)
>
> At the expense of seriously impacting my motivation to do any further
> code cleanup on Git.

Well, I said it was "fun" because I was learning from a new person
who haven't made much technical or code aethesitics discussion here
so far.  If teaching others frustrates you and stops contributing to
the project, that is a loss.

But the styles matter, as the known pattern in the existing code is
what lets our eyes coast over unimportant details of the code while
reviewing and understanding.  I tend to be pickier when reviewing
code from new people who are going to make large contributions for
exactly that reason---new blood bringing in new ideas is fine, but
I'd want to see those new ideas backed by solid thiniking, and that
means they may have to explain themselves to those who are new to
their ideas.