Subject: Re: [PATCH] stash: reuse cached index entries in --patch temporary index

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2026 11:26:14 +0900

"Adam Johnson via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

>  2 files changed, 83 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)
>
> diff --git a/builtin/stash.c b/builtin/stash.c
> index 32dbc97b47..48189cb9f7 100644
> --- a/builtin/stash.c
> +++ b/builtin/stash.c
> @@ -372,6 +372,57 @@ static int reset_tree(struct object_id *i_tree, int update, int reset)
>  	return 0;
>  }
>  
> +static int create_index_from_tree(const struct object_id *tree_id,
> +				  const char *index_path)
> +{
> +	int nr_trees = 1;
> +	int ret = 0;
> +	struct unpack_trees_options opts;
> +	struct tree_desc t[MAX_UNPACK_TREES];
> +	struct tree *tree;
> +	struct index_state dst_istate = INDEX_STATE_INIT(the_repository);
> +	struct lock_file lock_file = LOCK_INIT;
> +
> +	repo_read_index_preload(the_repository, NULL, 0);
> +	if (refresh_index(the_repository->index, REFRESH_QUIET, NULL, NULL, NULL))
> +		return -1;

Is this "non-zero return from refresh_index() leads to a failure"
intended?  The old "git read-tree HEAD" wouldn't have cared if the
original index were unmerged, for example, but with this update, we
will see an immediate failure.  There are other conditions that
refresh_index() flips its local variable has_errors on, which leads
to its non-zero return.

Since "git stash -p" is almost always invoked when the user has
unstaged modifications, I am not sure allowing refresh_index() to
notice and barf is what we want here.