Subject: Re: [GSoC PATCH v3] bugreport: revert incorrect usage message change

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2026 13:08:45 -0700

Smaran Jaianand <[email-masked]> writes:

> Revert the previous change to keep it consistent with documentation.
> Based on the feedback, the usage string is intended to represent command syntax rather than provide a description.

You really do not have to post a patch to revert something that was
rejected and did not get applied anywhere to our tree.

We frown upon a patch series that makes mistakes in an earlier step,
only to fix them in a later step.  The "git rebase -i" command helps
us pretend to be more perfect developers than we actually are,
whipping your patch series into a shape that builds one small step
on top of another in a logical succession.  Such a patch series is
easier to understand than a history that faithfully records all the
stumbles the developer made until they reached the final solution.

If you rebuilt your changes, while removing any parts that shouldn't
be there, in an effort to pretend to be a more perfect developer,
sometimes you might end up with an empty patch, and that is OK.  You
can just send a message that you are retracting the earlier patch
and everybody would understand.

Thanks.