Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 05/12] builtin: add new "history" command

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2025 20:32:49 -0700

Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]> writes:

>> +	const char * const usage[] = {
>> +		N_("git history [<options>]"),
>> +		NULL,
>> +	};
>
> Nit: We have pointer alignment set to 'Right' in our styling guide and
> also mentioned in our 'Documentation/CodingGuidelines'
>
>    When declaring pointers, the star sides with the variable
>    name, i.e. "char *string", not "char* string" or
>    "char * string".  This makes it easier to understand code
>    like "char *string, c;".

But there is nothing specified for an asterisk that cannot side with
variable name, like the one we see above.  I _think_ the "space on
both sides" is the prevalent style, but I do not know (although I
suspect you do---as the person with most changes in it) what (y)our
clang format configuration wants to do.  Can you make sure the tool
suggests the style that matches the prevailing style?

Thanks.