Subject: Re: [GSOC PATCH v6 0/3] environment: remove sparse-checkout related global variables

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2025 10:10:12 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ayush, what's the status of this effort?
>
> Currently a topic by Derrick is built on top of this one, which
> means it is stuck waiting for this topic to stabilize.  Should we
> ask Derrick to rebuild his topic independent from this topic and let
> it graduate sooner, and when you reroll this series, you'd base
> yours on top of whatever the Git codebase looks like when it
> happens?

I tried to (re)adjust Derrick's ds/sparse-checkout-clean topic to
build directly on top of 'master', which involved removing its first
step to make it depend on the global core_apply_sparse_checkout and
core_sparse_checkout_cone variables, which was not too bad.

The result is queued on 'seen' I just pushed out.  Derrick, could
you take a look to see if I screwed up any?  At least it seems to
pass the tests locally.

I've ejected the ac/deglobal-sparse-variables topic from 'seen' for
now, but perhaps it may want to be rebased on Derrick's series when
it is rerolled.  We'll see how fast the sparse-checkout-clean topic
can enter 'next' and graduate, hopefully soon enough.

Thanks.