Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 2/3] config: warn on core.commentString=auto

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2025 11:55:53 -0700

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 26/08/2025 16:52, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>> From: Phillip Wood <[email-masked]>
>>>
>>> As support for this setting was deprecated in the last commit print a
>>> warning (or die when WITH_BREAKING_CHANGES is enabled) if it is set.
>>> Avoid bombarding the user with warnings by only printing it (a) when
>>> running commands commands that call "git commit" and (b) only once
>> "commands commands" -> "commands".
>
> Sigh, I removed "only only" which Oswald had pointed out only to add
> another repeated word. I've just sent V4 with the typo fixed.

Heh, I've locally amended so no need to resend.  I'd rather see the
"what degree of help would our users need, and is it worth trying to
find the (impossible) definition of being 'good enough for most
people'" resolved soon so that we can move forward.  I'll read the
series again, especially the recovery recipe the topic would give
our users, to see if my stance would change from my previous one.

Thanks.