Subject: Re: Question: is there a possibility of getting a warning before a git push -f

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2025 11:42:16 -0700

Aditya Garg <[email-masked]> writes:

> One thing I sometimes encounter is that I sometimes git push -f and
> moments later I realise I did it at the wrong time, result being a
> disaster. I was wondering if a little [y/N] warning could be possible
> before the risky command gets executed. I saw the code for push
> superficially and I don't think it's implemented. I think it would be
> a nice feature though.

I suspect that an even nicer feature that is more generally
applicable is a patch to your shell to make any command you give it
is not run for a few seconds to give you a chance to kill it with
^C.  You do not want to run around castrating a bunch of commands
and features like "git push", "rm", ">overwrite-with-redirect", and
all the other "destructive" things you may regret doing.  There are
literally too many.

Quite honestly, "-f" or "--force" should be a hint enough that the
user wants the command to do what the command usually does not allow
them to do to avoid potentially dangerous operations.

I would expect that many people will truly get annoyed when "git
anycommand --force" starts asking "That's very dangerous---are you
sure?" for confirmations, and would complain "Yes, otherwise I
wouldn't be giving you '--force'---just do it as I told you".