Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] send-email: add --[no-]outlook-id-fix option

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2025 09:24:22 -0700

Aditya Garg <[email-masked]> writes:

> +--[no-]outlook-id-fix::
> +	Outlook servers discard the Message-ID sent via email and assign a
> +	new random Message-ID, thus breaking threads.
> ++
> +--
> +- '--outlook-id-fix' will attempt to retrieve the ID from the server
> +  irrespective of the SMTP server being used. Use only if Microsoft is your
> +  email provider.
> +- '--no-outlook-id-fix' will disable this tweak irrespective of the SMTP
> +  server being used.
> +--
> ++
> +If not specified, the default behaviour will be to enable the tweak only if the
> +SMTP server is 'smtp.office365.com' or 'smtp-mail.outlook.com'.

I found "irrespective of the SMTP server being used" part a bit
confusing, which seemed to contradict with the next sentence to tell
you to use it only against Outlook based servers.

After reading the "If not specified" part, I can sort of guess that
you wanted to "irrespective" mean "even when we are (or are not)
talking to outlook.com", but it is still a confusing description.

Would the following work better, I wonder...?

	Microsoft Outlook SMTP servers ..., thus breaking threads.

	With `--outlook-id-fix`, "git send-email" uses a mechanism
	specific to Outlook servers to learn the Message-ID the
	server assigned to fix the threading.  Use it only when you
	know that the server reports the rewritten Message-ID the
	same way as Outlook servers do.

	Without this option specified, the fix is done by default
	when talking to smtp.office365.com or smtp-mail.outlook.com.
	Use `--no-outlook-id-fix` to disable even when talking to
	these two servers.

Thanks.