Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jan 2025, #05; Fri, 17)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2025 09:22:30 -0800

Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]> writes:

> Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> * kn/reflog-migration-fix (2025-01-15) 1 commit
>>>   (merged to 'next' on 2025-01-16 at ae8f9ce9a0)
>>>  + reftable: write correct max_update_index to header
>>>  (this branch is used by kn/reflog-migration-fix-followup.)
>>> ...
>> This seems to be breaking on 'next'.
> ...
> reproduces the issue. I haven't found the root cause yet, but will
> mostly call it a day and get back to this tomorrow.

We have a handful of topics related to refs subsystem in flight,
and I am a bit lost here.

(1) kn/reflog-migration-fix (the above) was done as a "fix" for the
    issue reported by brian in
    https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/ 

(2) You mention that (1) is broken in the message I am responding
    to.  There is no known fix yet, so (1) needs to wait in 'next'
    until it gets fixed.

(3) kn/reflog-migration-fix-followup is a code clean-up for (1); it
    has to wait for (2) as well.

(4) kn/reflog-symref-fix is a fix for a different bug the commit
    that introduced the bug (1) addresses.  It can proceed
    independently from the other topics.

(5) ps/reflog-migration-with-logall-fix is another fix for a
   different bug introduced by the same series whose bugs are
   addressed by (1) and (4).  It can proceed independently from the
   other topics.

The above is my current understanding; did I miss any other relevant
topics that are related to these efforts, and/or did I misunderstand
the dependencies among them?

If I am not misunderstanding the current status of these topics,
I'll be marking (4) and (5) for 'next'; I am undecided for (3).

Thanks.