Subject: Re: [PATCH v5] convert: return early when not tracing

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2024 19:42:40 -0700

"Haritha  via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: D Harithamma <[email-masked]>
>
> When Git adds a file requiring encoding conversion and tracing of encoding
> conversion is not requested via the GIT_TRACE_WORKING_TREE_ENCODING
> environment variable, the `trace_encoding()` function still allocates &
> prepares "human readable" copies of the file contents before and after
> conversion to show in the trace. This results in a high memory footprint
> and increased runtime without providing any user-visible benefit.
>
> This fix introduces an early exit from the `trace_encoding()` function
> when tracing is not requested, preventing unnecessary memory allocation
> and processing.
>
> Signed-off-by: Harithamma D <[email-masked]>
> ---

It seems that you forgot to adjust to

 https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

where I asked you to be consistent in the authorship name and sign
off.

For now, as I like to allow "git shortlog --author=..." to group
contributions by a single author to a single bucket, I'll rewrite
both to the same name as used in d254e650 (build: support z/OS
(OS/390)., 2024-03-06), but will not merge it down to 'next' before
I hear what your response is.

Thanks.