Subject: Re: Allow git bisect to auto-skip

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 11:43:03 -0700

Stefan Haller <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 22.03.24 23:31, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> It often is discovered that a commit
>> breaks bisection after the fact and it is not feasible to rebase
>> all the history after the commit.
>
> This reminds me of a similar problem with git blame, for which we have
> the blame.ignoreRevsFile config to work around it. Couldn't there be a
> similar mechanism for bisect, e.g. bisect.skipRevsFile?

A Very good point.  If a breakage of a commit is "this does not even
build" kind of breakage, such a mechanism would be an excellent fit.

But if a breakage is "only this particular test fails and we know
the reason why it fails has nothing to do with the bug we are
chasing", then compiling such a fixed list of commits, or pointing
at such a list with a configuration variable, would not work very
well, I am afraid.

Thanks.