Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 16/16] config: allow multi-byte core.commentChar

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 11:39:44 -0700

"Kristoffer Haugsbakk" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> +	(default '#'). Note that this option can take values larger than
>> +	a byte (whether a single multi-byte character, or you
>> +	could even go wild with a multi-character sequence).
>
> I don’t know if this expanded description focuses a bit much on the
> history of the change[1] or if it is intentionally indirect about this
> char-is-really-a-string behavior as a sort of easter egg.[2]

> Maybe it could be more directly stated like:
>
>   “ Note that this variable can in fact be a string like `foo`; it
>     doesn’t have to be a single character.
>
> (Hopefully UTF-8 is implied by “foo”. Or else “føø”.)

That's definitely an improvement, but I would say that using a
dingbat instad of "foo", and "single character" -> "single ASCII
character" (or "single byte") would make it even clearer.

Thanks.