Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] Add `-p' option to `git-mv', inspired by `mkdir'

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 13:30:14 +0900

Hugo Sales <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Both are plausible, and "mkdir -p" does not have such a nasty
>> ambiguity.  That is what makes me unsure about the new feature
>> (again, either with required "-p" or with implied "-p").
>
> I think the ambiguity is resolved by the inclusion of lack thereof
> of a trailing `/`.

The question is not if we can come up with a rule that the user can
use to disambiguate.  It is if the user will find that such a rule
is a naturally acceptable way to disambiguate.

When both of

    git mv file there/exists/such/a/directory
    git mv file there/exists/such/a/directory/

create "there/exists/such/a/directory/file" and removes "file", with
or without a trailing slash, "you should add a slash if you want a
directory, and otherwise you should not add a slash" is a rather
arbitrary rule.  Let's not go there.  I still view the downside more
grave than having to occasionally do "mkdir".