Subject: Re: Git Privacy

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 10:11:04 -0700

"nick" <[email-masked]> writes:

> hooks. Perhaps a config option to automatically set the date to a time
> before Git was invented?

For some use cases that are outside of how Git was designed to be
used, such configuration might be useful, but I am not yet convinced
that it is worth the engineering effort for this project to review,
accept and maintain changes to implement it.

Just my personal opinion, of course ;-)

After all, if you leave series of commits that stress the fact that
you not just fail to keep, but do deliberately avoid to keep, a
reliable record of when you made your changes, half the value of
keeping your work in source code management system vanishes.  When
somebody comes to your project and says certain parts of your code
were stolen from their proprietary IP, wouldn't you rather be able
to produce the record of who did what at which time to refute their
claim by showing that your project members invented the code long
before they claim they were stolen from them?