Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] add: check color.ui for interactive add

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 10:09:40 -0700

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

>>       -+	*** Commands ***
>>       -+	  1: [s]tatus	  2: [u]pdate	  3: [r]evert	  4: [a]dd untracked
>>       -+	  5: [p]atch	  6: [d]iff	  7: [q]uit	  8: [h]elp
>>...
> ... The reason is that we're no-longer testing that we
> add "[]" around the text that would have been highlighted if color was
> enabled. That is with --color we print "1: status" with the "s"
> highlighted rather than "1: [s]tatus". So while the revised patch
> tests there is no color in the output, it does not test that we print
> the output correctly in that case.

Interesting.

My understanding was that the new test is about when coloring gets
triggered (namely, does the configuration variable set to false
disable the coloring?), and we had test coverage about how coloring
affects the output elsewhere (hence this one does not have to test
the same thing).