Subject: Re: [PATCH] imap-send: replace auto-probe libcurl with hard dependency

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2023 15:22:24 -0800

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> Change the "imap-send" command to have a hard dependency on libcurl,
> before this it had an optional dependency on both libcurl and OpenSSL,
> now only the OpenSSL dependency is optional.
>
> This simplifies our dependency matrix my getting rid of yet another

"my" -> "by", I think.

> special-case. Given the prevalence of libcurl and portability of
> libcurl it seems reasonable to say that "git imap-send" cannot be used
> without libcurl, almost everyone building git needs to be able to push
> or pull over http(s), so they'll be building with libcurl already.

OK.

> So let's remove the previous "USE_CURL_FOR_IMAP_SEND" knob. Whether we
> build git-imap-send or not is now controlled by the "NO_CURL"
> knob.

OK.

> Let's also hide the old --curl and --no-curl options, and die if
> "--no-curl" is provided.

In other words, if we are building imap-send, we sure know cURL is
there, and there is no need to tell a running imap-send not to use
cURL to talk to the IMAP service?  I am not sure the linkage of this
change with the rest of the patch.  Isn't that a totally orthogonal
issue?  Your imap-send might be cURL enabled, but unless we stop to
ship with our own IMAP routines compiled into imap-send, --no-curl
does have a purpose.

Or did you just forget to document that we stop to ship with our own
IMAP routines in the above?  If so, as long as it is made a bit more
prominent in the proposed log message in a reroll, I would be happy
with such a change rolled into the same patch.