Subject: Re: [Outreachy] internship contribution

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 21:42:52 -0700

NSENGIYUMVA WILBERFORCE <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi team, I am reading through "My first contribution"
> when I run make all doc, I get the following;
>
> SUBDIR git-gui
>     SUBDIR gitk-git
>     SUBDIR templates
> make -C Documentation all
> make[1]: Entering directory '/mnt/c/Users/USER/documents/git/Documentation'
> make[2]: Entering directory '/mnt/c/Users/USER/documents/git'
> make[2]: 'GIT-VERSION-FILE' is up to date.
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/mnt/c/Users/USER/documents/git'
>     XMLTO git-version.1
> /bin/sh: 1: xmlto: not found
> make[1]: *** [Makefile:355: git-version.1] Error 127
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/mnt/c/Users/USER/documents/git/Documentation'
> make: *** [Makefile:2720: doc] Error 2
>
> How should I go about it?

Googling "xmlto: not found", the first result is

    https://command-not-found.com/xmlto

The page lists how to get and install it for various platforms, and
WSL/Windows should be included there.

I believe "My first contribution" recommends to first read the
top-level INSTALL before continuing (and if not, it should be
updated to).  Simpler things first---building and installing the
vanilla source code without any of your changes should be simpler
and you should become confident in doing that, before you start
modifying anything. Otherwise, when you encounter a problem, you
would not be able to tell if you broke it with your change, or your
basic set-up is not complete (e.g. missing necessary tools like
xmlto) and unable to build and install from even vanilla set of
sources.

Have fun.