Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.38.0

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 12:22:20 -0700

Thomas Braun <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 03.10.2022 19:26, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
> Hi Junio and Ævar,
>
> the last git release has
>
>> submodule--helper: remove unused "list" helper
>
> in the shortlog which is 31955475 (submodule--helper: remove unused
> "list" helper, 2022-09-01).

X-<.

> Now the inevitable "I'm using this in production since 5 years and now
> it's broken" has happened.

X-< again.  Next time when you are using unsupported implementation
detail, please report when the potential breakage is still in 'next'
and not down in 'master'.

> Just for the record "git submodule status" is a good replacement for
> my case. I happen to need it on Windows using a CMD shell.
>
> Is there a general rule that commands which have "--helper" in them
> should not be relied on?

A good rule of thumb is to consider anything with double-dash as an
implementation detail that are not end-user facing, I would say.

Thanks, and sorry for the breakage.