Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] CI: select CC based on CC_PACKAGE (again)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:51:07 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm happy to rephrase it however you'd like, but I'm a bit confused by
> the "saw any mention in the proposed log message". I'm fairly sure
> paragraph 2 onwards covers this, i.e. how linux-gcc's behavior is
> changed (as it also regressed).

Yeah, true, """Likewise for the linux-gcc job CC=gcc-8 was changed
to the implicit CC=gcc, which would select GCC 9.4.0 instead of GCC
8.4.0.""" that you wrote is exactly about it.

I was confused because immediately after that you said it was not a
bug, so I dismissed it as not part or the real issue.  Perhaps
striking that "not a bug" part may make it less confusing?  I dunno.

> What I suppose is left undiscussed is that jobs that don't define
> CC_PACKAGE at all won't be impacted, is that what you wanted to be
> explicitly mentioned?

Yes, I agree that is a good idea, too.  Or you can steal the "before
and after" table I gave you in the message you are responding to, if
you think it helps.

Thanks.