Subject: Re: Dealing with corporate email recycling

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 00:19:30 +0000

<[email-masked]> writes:

> Could we not use SSH's ssh-keygen -V for this purpose when establishing
> persistent identities independent of user/email? We already do this for
> signed commits.

Fingerprint of cryptographic key would be easy to use as an
identity, for which the person who claims ownership can easily
produce proof of ownership.  Various other "identitying strings"
like human readable name and e-mail addresses from different
validity periods can be all tied to such an identity.  Taking key
revocation into account, keys from different validity period may
have to be tied together in a same way.  "The person who used to
sign the commits with key A and the person who signs the commits
with key B are the same, and in real life, they are known as
A. U. Thor"

But proving that such a mapping is in a meaningful way is much
harder, I would imagine, but perhaps addresses and human readable
names do not matter as much.  Or continuity of identity, for that
matter.  I dunno.