Subject: Re: [RFC] shell: local x=$1 may need to quote the RHS

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 16:17:02 -0800

Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 09:53:25PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:
>> >
>> >> The manual page for recent dash may need an update.
>> >> Can you perhaps file a bug on their documentation?
>> >
>> > Yes, I agree that dash.1 is out-of-date after cbb71a8. Konstantin:
>> > please feel free to use any of this if it's helpful to you in creating a
>> > bug report for the dash folks.
>>
>> I doubt that we can write off dash v0.5.10 as too old to matter, as
>> the tagger date seems to be mid 2020 at
>>
>> https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/utils/dash/dash/+/refs/tags/v0.5.11
>
> That isn't quite what I was implying. What I meant to say was that the
> dash _manual page_ is out-of-date w.r.t. the dash patch I linked, not
> that that version is something we could ignore.

Oh, I didn't mean it that way.  I was continuing from your findings
that certain features of "local" may not have been available in
0.5.10; hence the hits from grep that showed any assignment might be
problematic with that version and we may need to downgrade our
scripts.

But as Szeder writes in a response later in the thread, assignment
on "local" may have been avaiable in versions before 0.5.11 in a
limited form (namely, it is split at $IFS unlike normal assignments,
which was the starting point of this thread), which reduces the
scope of downgrading necessary by a large margin ;-)