Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 3/5] http: drop support for curl < 7.19.4

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 16:05:58 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
>
> In the last commit we dropped support for curl < 7.16.0, let's
> continue that and drop support for versions older than 7.19.4. This
> allows us to simplify the code by getting rid of some "#ifdef"'s.
>
> Git was broken with vanilla curl < 7.19.4 from v2.12.0 until
> v2.15.0. Compiling with it was broken by using CURLPROTO_* outside any
> "#ifdef" in aeae4db174 (http: create function to get curl allowed
> protocols, 2016-12-14), and fixed in v2.15.0 in f18777ba6ef (http: fix
> handling of missing CURLPROTO_*, 2017-08-11).

Hmph, doesn't the proposed log message of 1/5 need updating then?
The above says CURLPROTO_* breakage was only during a few months in
2017 and hints that we've been OK for the past 4 years, but 1/5 says
we need further work to if we want to get stuff working with a
version of cURL without CURLPROTO_* stuff, which directly contradicts
with "we fixed it at v2.15.0" above.

> It's unclear how much anyone was impacted by that in practice, since
> as noted in [1] RHEL versions using curl older than that still
> compiled, because RedHat backported some features. Perhaps other
> vendors did the same.
>
> Still, it's one datapoint indicating that it wasn't in active use at
> the time. That (the v2.12.0 release) was in Feb 24, 2017, with v2.15.0
> on Oct 30, 2017, it's now mid-2021.

Yeah, with RHEL 6 at 7.19.7 (from the proposed log for 2/5), I agree
that we'd not be worried too much about pre 7.19.4 as we used to.