Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/30] subtree: clean up, improve UX

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 16:27:57 +0900

Luke Shumaker <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 13:42:00 -0600,
> Luke Shumaker wrote:
>>                                                  I promise that
>> there's more work coming on top of it (we've discovered lots of ways
>> to break the "subtree split" algorithm, and come up with fixes for
>> most of them).
>
> Follow-up question: If in that work I changed the shebang from
> "#!/bin/sh" to "#!/usr/bin/env bash" and started using Bash arrays,
> would that be so bad?  Would that be land-able?

I'd rather see "git subtree" tool taken out of my tree and flourish
as a standalone project of its own.

Over its long history, from time to time people stepped in only to
scratch their own itch and then went away.  Without having continued
presense of an area expert (or two) who can give consistent guidance
to the tool's evolution, I feel that Git project itself failed to
give sufficient service to users of "git subtree".

As I won't be that area expert, and we do not seem to be growing
such an area expert who can be responsible for the tool in the long
haul, it probably is a disservice to its users to keep it in my tree
and pretend that it is maintained to the same degree as the rest of
Git.

If those who are interested and/or have stake in the "git subtree"
tool can unite and take its development in their hands, with their
own style, that might be better for the health of the "git subtree"
tool in the long run.

Thanks.