Subject: Re: [PATCH] shortlog: remove unused(?) "repo-abbrev" feature

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2021 15:06:40 -0800

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> Remove support for the magical "repo-abbrev" comment in .mailmap
> files. This was added to .mailmap parsing in [1], as a generalized
> feature of the git-shortlog Perl script added earlier in [2].
> ...
> I wondered what this repo-abbrev thing was while reading thorugh
> recent mailmap.c traffic. I was a bit on the fence about this being a
> RFC/PATCH, but I guess if people hate this & want to keep it that's
> fine, but if not this should be ready for inclusion.
>
> Surely has some conflicts with brian's recent submission, but I wanted
> to get it out of my queue sooner than later.

I'd expect that nobody would say anything until this change hits a
released version, and then after another release or two when it hits a
binary-packaged distro release, we may hear a regression report.  

Or perhaps not.

In other words, we won't see a complaint (other than any obvious ones
we'd notice during review, like "shouldn't we be skipping comments?")
by cooking this in 'next', so I'd prefer to fast-track a topic like this
quickly to 'master' but make sure we can revert it anytime.  Which in
turn means that it would be nice to see it while the codepaths involved
is expected to be quiet for a while.  So, let's ignore this topic while
the other mailmap topic is in flight and then revisit it after it
graduates to 'master'.

Thanks.