Subject: Re: [PATCH v1 1/2] t0027: Don't use git commit <empty-pathspec>

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 10:21:19 -0800

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> [email-masked] writes:
>
>> From: Torsten Bögershausen <[email-masked]>
>>
>> Replace `git commit -m "comment" ""` with `git commit -m "comment"` to
>> remove the empty path spec.
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Torsten Bögershausen <[email-masked]>
>> ---
>>  t/t0027-auto-crlf.sh | 2 +-
>>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)
>
> This looks a bit strange.  The intent seems to commit all changes
> made in the working tree, so I'd understand it if it replaced the
> empty string with a single dot.
>
> I also thought that we deprecated use of an empty string as "match
> all" pathspec recently, and expected that this to break.
>
>     ... goes and looks ...
>
> Indeed, 229a95aa ("t0027: do not use an empty string as a pathspec
> element", 2017-06-23) does exactly that.

OK, I think I can safely omit this patch, because

 (1) when 2/2 is queued on top of tb/check-crlf-for-safe-crlf,
     because ex/deprecate-empty-pathspec-as-match-all is not yet in
     the topic, an empty pathspec still means "match all" and
     nothing breaks; and

 (2) when tb/check-crlf-for-safe-crlf plus 2/2 is merged to any
     branch with ex/deprecate-empty-pathspec-as-match-all, the topic
     already fixes what this 1/2 tries to

Thanks for being thorough, though.