Subject: Re: Some issues when trying to set up a shallow git mirror server

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 09:14:10 -0800

Richard Maw <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1.  Before any "want" requests.
>
>     This would also let you extend ls-remote to let it display ancestry.
>
>     This is complicated by the fact that normally the client responds
>     with which features it supports in the first "want",
>     so the sender would have to support "check-ff N O <FEATURES>"
>     if it advertised "ancestry-check".

Yes, that sounds like a good thing.  Actually, ls-remote is a
degenerated case of fetch that sends 0 "want" requests, so the above
may be identical to what I suggested in the message you are
responding to.

> 2.  After the pack is transferred.

I do not think the protocol is structured to allow you to do this
easily.  The reading side is expected to read thru til the end of
the stream, not stopping at the end of the packdata, IIRC.