Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/6] Facilitate debugging Git executables in tests with gdb

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 11:32:49 -0700

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Junio,
>
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2015, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> It can be called GDB=1, perhaps?
>
> No, this is way too generic. As I only test that the environment
> variable's existence, even something like GDB=/usr/opt/gdb/bin/gdb would
> trigger it.
>
> I could be talked into GDB_GIT=1, though.

As I said in another message, I have no preference myself over the
name of this variable (or making it a shell function like Duy
mentioned, which incidentally may give us more visual pleasantness
by losing '=').

I'd just be happy as long as the feature becomes available, and I'd
leave the choice of consistent and convenient naming to others who
have stronger opinions ;-)