Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] mergetool: run prompt only if guessed tool

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 10:07:20 -0700

Charles Bailey <[email-masked]> writes:

> The bit of documentation that I was thinking of is in
> Documentation/git-mergetool.txt where it states that "--prompt" is the
> default which is now only partially true.

Thanks for being careful to help tying the loose ends.

Perhaps like this?

I take that your original motivation was to confirm to run a tool on
this particular (as opposed to another) path, but the user can also
take the prompt as to confirm to run this (as opposed to some other)
tool.  The latter of which of course is irritating for those who
told which exact tool to use.

I think the large part of the reason why you and Felipe had to have
a long back-and-forth was because it was unclear that the prompt
served these two purposes from the documentation, so I attempted to
clarify the first motivation by adding a brief half-sentence.

 Documentation/git-mergetool.txt | 9 ++++++---
 1 file changed, 6 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-mergetool.txt b/Documentation/git-mergetool.txt
index 07137f2..ec089ff 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-mergetool.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-mergetool.txt
@@ -71,11 +71,14 @@ success of the resolution after the custom tool has exited.
 --no-prompt::
 	Don't prompt before each invocation of the merge resolution
 	program.
+	This is the default if the merge resolution program is
+	explicitly specified with the `--tool` option or with the
+	`merge.tool` configuration variable.
 
 --prompt::
-	Prompt before each invocation of the merge resolution program.
-	This is the default behaviour; the option is provided to
-	override any configuration settings.
+	Prompt before each invocation of the merge resolution program
+	to ask if it should be run for the path.
+
 
 TEMPORARY FILES
 ---------------