Subject: [PATCH] test-lib: catch misspelt 'test_expect_successo'

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2026 11:13:26 -0700

In order to catch mistakes like misspelling "test_expect_success",
we would like to eventually be able to run our test suite with the
"-e" option on.

All tests dot-source "test-lib.sh" as the first thing to do.
Starting the script with "set -e" immediately reveals one place in
the test framework itself that is not clean.

The test framework runs "$GIT_BINARY" without any argument. We
expect it to exit with status 1 (i.e., "git<RETURN>" that spits out
the list of common commands) as a sign that we have an instance of
Git that we want to test.  We cannot quite say

    git
    if test $? != 1; then you have not built git; fi

as the first invocation that exits non-zero is caught with "set -e".

Work this around by rewriting the construct like so:

    status=0; git || status=$?
    if test $status != 1; then you have not built git; fi

Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---

 * As we look into other breakages, we may discover more breakages
   in the test framework that need to be fixed, but this change
   alone seems to get thing going for many test scripts.

 t/test-lib.sh | 7 +++++--
 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git i/t/test-lib.sh w/t/test-lib.sh
index 70fd3e9baf..a2aa97fba3 100644
--- i/t/test-lib.sh
+++ w/t/test-lib.sh
@@ -17,6 +17,9 @@
 
 # Test the binaries we have just built.  The tests are kept in
 # t/ subdirectory and are run in 'trash directory' subdirectory.
+
+set -e
+
 if test -z "$TEST_DIRECTORY"
 then
 	# ensure that TEST_DIRECTORY is an absolute path so that it
@@ -143,8 +146,8 @@ export GIT_TEST_DEFAULT_INITIAL_BRANCH_NAME
 ################################################################
 # It appears that people try to run tests without building...
 GIT_BINARY="${GIT_TEST_INSTALLED:-$GIT_BUILD_DIR}/git$X"
-"$GIT_BINARY" >/dev/null
-if test $? != 1
+status=0 && "$GIT_BINARY" >/dev/null || status=$?
+if test $status != 1
 then
 	if test -n "$GIT_TEST_INSTALLED"
 	then