Subject: Re: [PATCH 09/10] tree: stop using the_repository

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2026 07:20:32 -0800

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > In any case, I'd propose to move the compatibility macros into a section
>> > that says something like:
>> >
>> >     /* Deprecated wrappers that will be removed once Git 2.53 is released. */
>> 
>> Please do not take release schedule hostage to one particular fix-up
>> series of patches.  Thanks.
>
> The intent isn't really to take anything hostage. It's rather intended
> as a hint that once a specific event has happened, we should take
> another look at removing these wrappers.

I am OK with a comment that records the intent, e.g., "let's work
towards reducing the use of these wrappers", with the plan for the
next step, e.g., "and once we have done so, remove these."

But the comment you wrote is forcing people to make sure we remove
the code that uses these wrappers and unless we finish it we cannot
release 2.53, no?