Subject: Re* [PATCH] config.mak.uname: use iconv from Homebrew on macOS

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2025 22:04:20 +0900

René Scharfe <[email-masked]> writes:

>> If the latter, perhaps we can say something in the proposed commit
>> log message to explain having both /opt/{homebrew,local}/ is
>> necessary (and why)?
>
> Homebrew uses /opt/homebrew for Apple Silicon and /usr/local for macOS
> Intel (https://docs.brew.sh/Installation).

Yup, that would be perfect.  Concisely explains why /opt/homebrew
and /usr/local are used in the patch.

I presume these are the default for homebrew and users could change
them to what suit their needs, but even then, what you did in your
patch is good; we are merely setting the appropriate defaults, and
those who customize these paths know that they must customize these
paths not just when they install homebrew but when building other
software packages like ours.

> Fink uses /opt/sw
> (https://www.finkproject.org/faq/general.php?phpLang=en#why-sw).

Perhaps they have a symlink or something from /sw to /opt/sw, then,
as our Makefile only talks about /sw and /opt/sw

Thanks.