Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC 00/11] Introduce git-history(1) command for easy history editing

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2025 23:18:29 +0900

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Its mostly because I don't like too much magic and because I think being
>> explicit is always better than not.
>> 
>> So from my POV, I would expect "the simple case" to be "the simple CLI
>> call" and if I want the tool to do magic and "rewrite all the
>> things"^tm, that I would need to specify a flag for that.
>
> Thanks, that's useful to know. I'd assumed rewriting all the branches 
> descended from the rewritten commit was the natural thing do do but 
> clearly not everyone thinks it is.

It probably depends on the way one looks at the tool, as a building
block (in which case less magic may be preferrable) or a complete
solution for one part of workflow.  I probably fall into former camp
more often than other people, but for this particular one, I tend to
think it is less confusing if we moved all branch refs away from the
commits that are obsoleted by rewriting/replaying.