Subject: Re: What is the reason behind not hiding git worktrees from git?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2025 15:27:03 -0700

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

> skip over them when scanning the output. Moreover, I think this is the
> first time that we have (on the list, at least) heard a complaint
> about the "noise", which may suggest that this is a non-issue for most
> people, and that a warning telling people to avoid the practice would
> be unwelcome.

Ah, different people guess different reasons out of the same
observation.  My interpretation of this is the first time about the
complaint on "noise" was because everybody else would not even have
additional worktree in-tree.

> Aside: It might be valuable to extend the documentation to add a
> discussion about hanging worktrees off of a bare repository. People do
> use such a workflow, and git-worktree officially supports it, but I
> don't think there is any in-project documentation which mentions it.

Oh, that is an obvious thing to do, too, to attach "additional"
worktrees to a bare repository (which does not have the primary
worktree).  I do not think anybody sane would add these worktrees
in-tree if the repository is bare, though.